I've been doing a little brainstorming. Here's what i have so far.
If there were no externalities, the free market would solve everything. But that's not real life. So this is a picture of influences that occur outside the free market.
(Updated Feb. 29, 7pm: added "war -> poverty" link and "religion" bubble.)
The completely connected triangle — education, health, and poverty — is interesting.
There are people, organizations, and movements sitting on each of these arrows trying to influence them. These are some of the "good guys":
- Scientific American, MythBusters, etc.
- Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, etc.
- PLoS, open access movement
- campaign finance laws
- truth in advertising laws
- responsible bloggers
- FactCheck, NewsTrust, etc.
- Change Congress
- electoral system reform
- voting machine reliability
- OpenCongress, TheyWorkForYou
- Americans United
Where do you fit on this picture?