This time, it passed! Here's the text of the measure:
1. The following will be added to the bylaws:Carbon Neutrality
- Kingman Hall values carbon neutrality and aims to be a carbon-neutral house.
- At least once per semester, we will take measures to ensure zero net carbon emissions from our electricity and natural gas usage for the semester.
- For this purpose, the House Manager is authorized to spend house funds, charged to members on house bills, to buy renewable energy credits that offset our carbon emissions.
2. The following will be added to the Waste Reduction Manager's job description:
- At least once per month, obtain records of our electricity and natural gas usage and post them in a highly visible place for house members to see.
- At least once per semester, estimate our carbon emissions.
- Research options for buying renewable energy credits.
- Advise the House Manager on where to buy renewable energy credits and how many credits to buy keep Kingman carbon-neutral.
If you live in a co-op and are interested in this issue, please feel free to use this wording as a starting point or a reference for your own bylaw.
(The two-thirds-vote issue was resolved by another bylaw change, which passed prior to this one. But the carbon neutrality bylaw passed by a landslide this time: 41 in favour, 3 against, 4 abstaining.)