1. Elaborate on your default icon.
It's a picture of me in the eucalyptus grove on the UC Berkeley campus. The picture was originally taken because it was needed for an author bio. I decided it looked pleasant and not too smug or snarky, so it would make a good icon. I rounded off the corners because i'm nitpicky that way...
2. What is your current relationship status?
3. What exactly are you wearing right now?
Brown Foo Camp t-shirt, black sweater with a blue stripe and a grey stripe, brown corduroys, the same black and grey sneakers i wear everywhere, and my navy blue peacoat. Yes, i started reading LJ before taking off my coat.
4. What is your current problem?
Not enough sleep.
Trying to balance work, socializing, and taking care of myself.
Figuring out what to do with the rest of my life.
5. What do you love most?
Tough one. Genuine people, beautiful music...
Oh, i know. The feeling of being creatively inspired. I love that.
6. What makes you most happy?
Creating beautiful things.
Making others happy.
Learning and discovering.
7. Are you musically inclined?
8. If you could go back in time and change something what would it be?
I don't know. Let me think about this one for a bit.
Can't think of anything. Whenever i think of something i realize it would change a whole bunch of other things and then i would no longer have something i really value now. Not that i think my life is ideal or anything, just that i imagine going back in time would have all these unexpected consequences. Perhaps i've read too many science fiction stories.
But then again, if i could change anything... Maybe i'd drop out of school and prevent Bush's election by any means necessary. I'd not get to meet many of the friends i have now and i might have ended up in jail or deported, but it might have been worth it. Or, knowing what i know now, go back in time and prevent 9/11 by any means necessary. I'd have to think about that one.
9. Ever have a near-death experience?
I almost drowned while swimming in the ocean at a beach in New York. I was with a group of kids on a summer nerd camp thing run by the Department of Energy. I definitely believed i was going to drown, anyway — the current was pulling me away from the shore, and the waves kept throwing me under. It was by far the scariest thing i've ever experienced. Every time i went under, i tumbled around and didn't know when i was going to get my next breath. When i came up i gulped as much air as i could and waved and yelled, but no one noticed. Somehow i eventually drifted to an area where the waves subsided and the current wasn't so strong, and i was able to recover. I don't think i've ever told my parents about this.
10. Name an obvious quality you have.
11. What’s the name of the song that’s stuck in your head right now?
Hmm, nothing playing on KPNG at the moment.
12. Any celeb you would marry?
13. Name someone with the same birthday as you.
14. Do you have a crush on someone?
15. Have you ever vandalized someone’s private property?
Yes. I drew on one of my school's brick walls with chalk when i was in grade 4 or so, and got a stern talking-to about vandalism. I suppose it counts as private property since it was a private school.
16. Have you ever been in a fight?
No, unless you count the time i was pushed to the ground for absolutely no reason by a police officer in riot gear. It was March 20, 2003 and i was walking around downtown San Francisco during the anti-war protests. I came around the corner to see a bunch of police in the middle of the road and bam! one of them ran at me and shoved me into the pavement, hard. I didn't fight back, i just yelled at him while they formed a circle around me and watched. I got up and told him off and they didn't do anything.
Not much of a fight, really. All i got were a couple of minor scrapes. It's the only time i've ever been physically assaulted in my adult life, though.
17. Have you ever sung in front of a large audience?
As part of my school choir, i did.
18. What’s the first thing you notice about the OPPOSITE sex?
19. What do you usually order from Starbucks?
I never go there.
20. Have you ever hurt yourself on purpose?
Yeah, but only a little, like plucking or picking at things. Or pinching myself to stay awake.
21. Say something totally random about yourself.
That was a tasty pear i ate just now.
22. Has anyone ever said you look like a celebrity?
Someone once said i reminded her of Jet Li. I don't see how, really.
23. Do you wear a watch?
24. Do you have anything pierced?
25. Do you have any tattoos?
26. Do you like pain?
Not really. Sometimes a painful thing can be fun, but usually for some reason other than the pain.
27. Do you like to shop?
Not much. I hardly ever do it.
28. What was the last thing you paid for with cash?
29. What was the last thing you paid for with a credit card?
OmniGraffle 4.0. I don't often buy software, but OmniGraffle is a really wonderful drawing tool and i'm using it for a paper i'm writing, and i eventually decided to just buy it instead of asking for a free license code every time i want to use it.
30. Who was the last person you spoke to on the phone?
Oh, wait, that's not true. That's the last person i spoke to on my phone.
The last person i spoke to on any phone is owens888.
31. What is on your desktop background?
A picture of lots of little clouds, from above, taken from an airplane window.
32. What is the background on your cell phone?
The BART map.
39. What is your favorite pair of pants that you own?
I kinda like the ones i'm wearing now. I don't really have a pair that i'm hugely excited about.
Hey, what happened to #33 through #38?
40. Do you like to party?
It depends on a lot of things.
41. Where do you see yourself in five years?
You gotta be kidding. Who knows?